Subject: Re: hot swap devices for RAIDframe?
To: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/11/2002 07:21:03
Rasputin writes:

> Does anybody know of any IDE solutions for hot-swapping drives?
>
> As far as I can make out, the 'hot-standby' features on RAIDframe
> are pretty useless without these, as you can't  replace the spare drive
> without rebooting the server anyway.....

Not quite... The hot spare buys you a bit of time to schedule the downtime/
reboot.  If you have a drive as a hot spare, you can always rebuild to
that drive and maintain the redundant state of the array (i.e. you can then
suffer another component failure on that set before becoming desparate :) ).
One would hopefully then have enough time to survive to an evening/weekend, or
some other time when downtime is less disruptive.  So while hot-swap is
very nice, it's not a requirement to make hot spares quite useful :)

Later...

Greg Oster