Subject: Re: Support for 3ware Escalade 7000 series on 1.5 or 1.6? (xs4)
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/07/2002 14:32:05
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 10:03:36PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
  | > They indeed did change numbers, it seems. It is only mentioned as 'a
  | > consolidation of' the Escalade 7500 series. Their product listing
  | > incorporates the changes made. I found this document at
  |
  | No, no -- be careful!
  |
  | There was at least one 3ware product line that was hurriedly recalled
  | from the market because they had a severe design flaw that could lock
  | up the PCI bus.  I can't remember, but I think it *was*, in fact, the
  | early 7000-series cards.

Yes, and I'm not even sure if many of them actually got to the
market... (Because it looked like 3Ware were getting out of the RAID
card market for a while when they recalled that card, and by the time
their web site had "newer than 6xxx" series cards listed again, that
was after they'd fixed the 7xxx series).

  | Why not just buy a current 3ware card with the current model name?  We
  | know those work -- several of us are using them.

For my next 3Ware card, I'm seriously considering the 8xxx series,
because they use Serial ATA (SATA), which should hopefully work
around a lot of the cabling issues that people have been having.
Of course, that means buying SATA disks, which probably means waiting
a couple of months until they because more available...

(My dual-boot workstation with a 3W-6400 used to have problems under
W2K with one of the drives occassionally going offline and coming back
again, but I've since replaced the PSU in the box and it's been fine.
It was always OK under NetBSD)

Luke.