Subject: Re: Perl 5.8 and others packages
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/06/2002 16:39:41
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 05:27:58PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 06:02:58PM +0200, Eric Jacoboni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone has experienced an upgrade from Perl 5.6.1 to Perl 5.8 ? I've
> > tested some days ago but it happens to break some others tools : INN,
> > for example.
> >
> > I really want to upgrade to 5.8, mostly for the new Unicode support,
> > and for all others adds.

FWIW, you might want to hold off on that, if the Unicode support is anything
like the Unicode support for earlier versions of Perl.  A former client of
mine had a large webmail application written in Perl, handling hundreds of
megabytes of customer email every day.  Testing prior to our
internationalization effort revealed that we'd need to ensure that _only_
international customers' servers used the Unicode perl executable, because
even when Unicode wasn't being used it made our entire application run almost
30% slower and also caused a substantial increase in memory footprint.

Thor