Subject: Re: ppp over ethernet
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/04/2002 14:07:59
Hi !

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> there are two packages for that (mouse-pppoe and rp-pppoe).
> i know that question "which is better" is often stupid, but what are their
> requirements about CPU power? is 486/40 enough to handle 1Mbps link &
> ipnat & nothing else?

rp-pppoe is in my eyes the more useable package, as it supports the clamping of
the MSS, which you really need in most cases for reliable transfer. anyway,
mouse-pppoe is the think which looks better to me :)

i use rp-pppoe without any problems since several months now.

486/40 with 1mbps will be a bit small for 1mbit, but attribute "tryable".
768 kbit with 486/66 worked fine here.

mouse-pppoe is faster i think, you may want to try this first, but if you seem
to get no replies to http queries on some servers, you should give rp-pppoe a
chance to try this. i had several problems with mouse-pppoe in our t-online
network in germany, as some routers of them seem to be misconfigured.

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/     Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX