Subject: Re: Adding a hard drive to i386
To: Rose, Brian <>
From: David Maxwell <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/27/2002 14:58:26
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 02:12:47PM -0400, Rose, Brian wrote:
> I just bought a hard drive and I need to add it to my already running
> NetBSD-1.5.2. When I attempt to do anything, I find that the programs
> (mbrlabel) complain about there being no disklabel. Doing research on
> disklabel, it seems I need to edit the /etc/disktab file and add an entry
> for my particular hard drive geometry.
> Is there a more elegant program that will query the drive and generate a
> proper disklabel? Or am I stuck with this method?

From the Documentation and FAQs link on the web page,

See section 20.8 of the NetBSD Guide:

Adding a new hard disk

This section describes how to add a new hard disk to an already working
NetBSD system. In the following example a new SCSI controller and a new
hard disk, connected to the controller, will be added. If you don't need
to add a new controller, skip the relevant part and go to the hard disk
configuration. The installation of an IDE hard disk is identical; only
the device name will be different (wd# instead of sd#).

David Maxwell,| -->
(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods