Subject: Re: Savage4 / XFree 4.2.0
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Core <MichaelCore@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/16/2002 14:18:48
jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi (Jukka Marin) wrote:

> It just doesn't list the 1280x1024 mode at 24bpp:

Have you read man savage(4)? There are two interesting options
LCDClock and UseBIOS.

> Even at 16bpp, I see "noise" on the screen when running gmplayer, so I
> think the savage driver is less than optimal or the card is .. too cheap

There _many_ options for mplayer which could change this. Does your card
support Xv(ideo)? Do you load the extension? Does mplayer make use of it?
Normally, a hardware accelerated card uses always 24/32 bit mode even if
you're using a video mode with a lower bpp setting. However, you might use
more filters with the generic X11 interface e.g. much better
anti-aliasing.

--
Michael