Subject: Re: Automatically starting programs...
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/14/2002 04:07:31
[ On Wednesday, August 14, 2002 at 11:02:09 (+1000), Richard Grace wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Automatically starting programs...
>
> If I'm adding software for trial or evaluation which is not in
> the pkgsrc, or available as a package, I install it in a separate
> place.  After determining what is installed (make -n, etc.) and
> what else is required, I usually build a package.  It's become
> a habit after some years as a Solaris admin.

Ah ha!  Very good!  Well I keep /usr/local as that "other place" and
/usr/pkg for installed packaged software.  However I don't package
everything that I use -- only if I also install it on someone else's
machine and even then often only if I expect I'll have to support it in
the future.  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods