Subject: Re: Automatically starting programs...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Grace <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/14/2002 11:02:09
>>> woods@weird.com 14/08/2002 03:40:41 >>>

> [ On Tuesday, August 13, 2002 at 16:09:47 (+1000), Richard Grace wrote: =
]
>=20
> > I just use which, whereis, locate or as a last resort, find.
>=20
> Sure, but once things get as complex as they are in some systems
> (eg. RedHat), then you'll have so many results that you'll still be left
> with no clue as to where you should really be looking.

Yes, but Red Hat really is the touchstone for this argument.
The first time I had to fix a broken Red Hat server, I spent
a long time just trying to find out how it was getting it's basic
network configuration, and what the startup options were.

> > I've never been a fan of NetBSD using /usr/pkg, but that's
> > my problem, not a problem with NetBSD.  I simply use a
> > symlink, /usr/local -> /usr/pkg and that's fixed.
>=20
> Presumably you never add anything manually, but only through
>  base-OS installs or though packages.

If I'm adding software for trial or evaluation which is not in
the pkgsrc, or available as a package, I install it in a separate
place.  After determining what is installed (make -n, etc.) and
what else is required, I usually build a package.  It's become
a habit after some years as a Solaris admin.

Richard.