Subject: Re: remote sound solution
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/12/2002 15:07:51
[ On Monday, August 12, 2002 at 20:31:18 (+0200), Wojciech Puchar wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: remote sound solution
>
> > > does anyone know such thing to use for X terminal?
> > >
> > > tried NAS but it generates lots of short clicks 5-10 times per second - i
> > > don't know why.
> >
> > What kind of "X terminal"?
>
> old 486/PCI with 16MB RAM, good PCI card (matrox millenium), ethernet and
> remote boot with old NetBSD (1.3.3) and X server.

Ah, so it's not an X terminal, but rather a NetBSD/i386 diskless workstation.

> i need extra program to allow playing sound on that. nas makes lot of
> clicks (tried both remotely and locally too).

OK, so you left out the _only_ important pieces of relevant information.

What audio card and what driver?  What version of NAS did you try?

It might also help to know if there are any issues or not with locally
playing audio files (i.e. AU files right off NFS)

> thing allowing to set up volume and play one sound stream (from mpg123)
> will be absolutely enough.

You won't be able to run many of those on a single 10mbps half-duplex
Ethernet before collisions become a problem just with the NAS traffic
alone.  Running the mp3 stream over the network and decoding on the
workstation, which may be possible (though that'd eat up most of the 486
CPU if it works at all), would be a lot less of a load on the Ethernet.

A full 16-bit stereo NAS feed apparently eats about 15% of a traditional
Ethernet, if my tkined/scotty graphs are to be trusted.

--
								Greg A. Woods