Subject: Re: motherboard recommendations?
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Stefan Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/06/2002 20:41:28
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > i am looking for a motherboard for a new NetBSD production server.  it
> > should support IDE (pseudo-)raid, ecc ram support is a plus, 1 cpu is
> i don;t know any real IDE raid on motherboards.
>
> > enough.
> >
> > what i am curious about is the IDE raid device, can one configure two
> > mirror volumes from 4 disks (2+2) with these?
> >
> >             ,-- channel 1 -- disk A1 - disk B1
> >            /                   ||        ||
> >  IDE raid <                  mirror    mirror
> >            \                   ||        ||
> >             `-- channel 2 -- disk A2 - disk B2
>
> yes of course!
>
> but using master/slave config is bad idea and will slow down everything.
>
> better just buy extra PCI IDE card and put every disk on another channel.

I would recommend to use a real RAID-Controller, that MoBo Chips
are often only capable of RAID 0 and 1 and have a very - mhmm lets
say bizarre - Software.

> > anyone can recommend some mobo with NetBSD supported IDE raid which is
> > capable of doing this and matches listed needs (ecc ram support
> > (optional), 1 cpu, onboard eth/graphics/sound are not neccessary)?
> >
> i don't think any special mobo is needed. but something with well tested
> intel chipset, or athlon with AMD chipset. avoid VIA

Yeah, esp. Highpoint Contr. are not supported below 1.6

--
http://www.net-tex.de

All your platform are belong to us!
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/