Subject: Re: motherboard recommendations?
To: Wojciech Puchar <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/06/2002 19:24:52

thanks for you answer.

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 07:11:06PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> i don;t know any real IDE raid on motherboards.

that's why i wrote 'pseudo'.

> but using master/slave config is bad idea and will slow down
> everything.  better just buy extra PCI IDE card and put every disk on
> another channel.

it's not that critical.  the slave devices will be for user data and the
reliability is more important than the actual speed.

> i don't think any special mobo is needed. but something with well
> tested intel chipset, or athlon with AMD chipset. avoid VIA

well, this doesn't say much.  let me rephrase it once again:

 - IDE pseudo-raid supported in NetBSD
 - ECC memory support is a plus
 - 1 socket for AMD cpu
 - chipset known to work reliably

any recommendations for vendors/models you have good experience with?
i am really more into SCSI, non-x86 hardware..

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
--                  <>   e-mail in gratuitous HTML and  \ /=
--                                       Microsoft proprietary formats   X =
-- PGPkey:                                  / \=
-- Key Fingerprint: 75B2 2B96 CD75 0385 1C49  39B8 8B08 C30E 54BC 7263     =

Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (NetBSD)