Subject: no DMA with PROMISE chip and optical drives (was TEAC CD-RW on PROMISE chip panics NetBSD 1.5.2)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jul.zwei@onlinehome.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/30/2002 14:08:02
I wrote:

> does anyone have a TEAC CD-W512EB attached to the PROMISE chip on an
> ASUS A7V266-E? I am not able to access the CD-RW without panicking the
> system. First the IDE mode is downgraded several times (from UDMA2 to PIO4)
        ^^ under NetBSD 1.5.2
> and then ddb kicks in.
> A NetBSD 1.5.3 kernel does not panic, but that's the only difference I
> can see.
>
> More details are in PR kern/17642.

Further investigation has shown that I cannot use any DMA mode with
the onboard PROMISE chip and my CD-RW or DVD-ROM, but PIO 4 works
for both iff I set this IDE mode in the kernel configuration file.
Automatic downgrading happens but cannot make the drives work.

A harddisk connected to this chip works very fast and 'iostat' shows low
interrupt rate, though, so I assume it does UDMA 5 as it says in the
dmesg output.

Anyone else out there with an ASUS A7V266-E?

ciao
     Klaus