Subject: Re: threads?
To: Richard Grace <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
From: Cliff Wright <cliff@snipe444.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/22/2002 22:16:09
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:42:17 +1000
"Richard Grace" <rgrace@aapt.com.au> wrote:

> Would one get better performance of all packages requiring
> PTH if this option is enabled?
>
> Is it worth doing ``make udate'' to remedy this?

It is only an issue when using pthread compatible routines if the pth I/O routines are used directly their is no problem. I ran in to this when compiling the milter library for sendmail. It creates a thread to handle signals not normally seen, and then put that thread to sleep, which had the effect of putting the whole task to sleep, not allowing any normal thread to run. So
the effect was not a performance issue, it actually broke my program that was using the milter library.
Also I tried "--enable-syscall-hard" but the install test indicated this was broken.