Subject: Re: OT: How to make a slow link (look) "faster"?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/22/2002 20:54:59
> > However, I'd like to ask you for tricks, hints, anything that could help me
> > make the most of those 128KBit/s (oh, those are actually 128Kbits inbound
>
> Have a caching DNS server that all hundred users share.
>
> Maybe have a caching HTTP server that they share if they use common
> webpages.

squid works perfect.

on my 2Mbps link and some hundreds of users squid gets 75% byte hit ratio

here may be less but still lots.

Even for one winuser setting up squid is worth of, as lots of
winapps/applets tends to reload same data many times

> If they do email internal amongst themselves a lot, then maybe have an

lots of. sending e-mail between users from same net is common practice.