Subject: OT: How to make a slow link (look) "faster"?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Carlos A. Carnero Delgado <carnero@icrt.cu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/22/2002 13:35:16
Hello,

this has nothing to do specifically with NetBSD; well, a little. I will be
installing a NetBSD-1.5.2 router/Internet gateway/firewall box for a little
company of a friend of mine. Well, I already did, with the usual suspects:
ipf & ipnat.

The problem is simple: they don't have enough bandwidth. They have a
128KBit/s line to the Internet for almost 100 users; the real interesting
part is that they'll be stuck with that bandwidth for a long time. So, as a
fact, the pipe is not fat enough.

However, I'd like to ask you for tricks, hints, anything that could help me
make the most of those 128KBit/s (oh, those are actually 128Kbits inbound
and another 128Kbits outboud over a guaranteed carrier-grade link, whatever
that means in these days ;)

As expected, everybody connects thanks to ipnat, but slowly. I really don't
expect wonders, but I have a gut feeling that there's a little bit more I
can do to improve things.

Best regards and thanks,
--
carlos carnero | carnero@icrt.cu | sysadmin/BOFH