Subject: Re: Mac or PC for IP gateway?/Mac or PC for Samba?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Johan A. van Zanten <johan@ragno.ewranglers.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/09/2002 07:06:16
---In message <20020708154615.H13550@snew.com>

I believe i am quoting Chuck Yerkes with ">" below :

>It replaced my home's SPARC 2/router because the thing sucked power
>($20/month), the disks whined and it made lots of heat.

The power cost and heat you describe sound more like a large Cisco
router. :-)

The following is probably going to seem insanely anal, but how much does
your power cost?

 My simplistic measurements (recorded at
http://www.ewranglers.com/~johan/tech/power.html) indicate that a SPARC 2
uses much less power than this. More like 21 watts, or about US $1.31 / 30
days, assuming 8.45 cents per kilowatt-hour.

  My last, "monthly" power bill was ~$100.  I was running the following
equipment 24 hours a day for the entire billing period:

 2 SPARC-20s
 1 170 MHz SPARC-5
 1 Ultra 30
 1 DSL device
 1 NeXT Turboslab
 3 ethernet hubs

The following were used often, but not always on:

 window unit A/C for computers
 2 20" Sun monitors
 2 Apple PBG3 laptops

As well as 2 people using a somewhat modest slew of appliances and other
 electronic devices such as refrigerator, lights, TV, etc.

So even if my power measurments of individual equipment are off, i really
cannot see how a SPARC 2 would cost $20 in power a month, at 8.45 cents US
per kWh. My power bill would have to be a lot higher.

>Your Sparc 2 won't fill a single 10baseT network, let alone route
>2 (okay, those were LE tests, hme may have fixed).

 Would it need to filter 10 Mbps, or something more modest like a T1 ?

 --johan