Subject: Re: Mac or PC for IP gateway?/Mac or PC for Samba?
To: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@snew.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/09/2002 00:10:41
> For similar $$$, I can build a much better machine with top quality
> components (RAM, Power and cooling are key to the life of a computer).

And lots of noise. My 486/50 router was used (diskless) because it made about
zero noise. It was replaced by a (much older, but much more reliable) Sparc
Station 2, still diskless. Moving the router to another room was prohibitive
expensive (cabling, thick walls, time...)

Installing NetBSD on both machines took the same time (hey, they use the
same [fast] NFS server).

Once anything breaks, I'll go out and buy a replacement.

Ooops, you can't buy silent i386 based computers at the local store? Ouch...

Your picture of the world is incomplete. Cope.

Martin