Subject: Re: cvs/ftp mirrors
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/08/2002 14:34:35
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I think it would be useful to use a simple DNS round-robin for the main
> cvs and ftp (and et cetera) mirrors.

For FTP, this is fine. For CVS, that can cause problems unless updates
are closely synchronized across all servers. If I type "cvs update" and
get version 1.16 of a file, and then "cvs update" again against a server
that still has only up to version 1.15 in the repository, cvs is not
very happy. Also, this would really confuse novice users who don't know
CVS well.

cjs