Subject: Re: cvs/ftp mirrors
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/07/2002 22:31:17
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 @ 1:08pm (-0700), Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

JCR> I think it would be useful to use a simple DNS round-robin for the main
JCR> cvs and ftp (and et cetera) mirrors. I know that the mirrors webpage lists
JCR> many mirrors, but probably the default and standard hosts are used.
JCR>
JCR> For example, it might be useful to have a ftp.mirror.netbsd.org (or
JCR> mirror.ftp.netbsd.org) and anoncvs.mirror.netbsd.org that point to several
JCR> of the known A records. And use this new name as the defaults and in
JCR> documentation. This may do a little help with this simple load balancing.
JCR>
JCR> Any comments?

...the first thing that comes to mind would be the need to standardize the
path to the netbsd resources on each host, which is not done ATM
(anoncvs.fr.netbsd.org, for example, has /pub/NetBSD-CVS instead of
/cvsroot)

...this could probably easily be overcome, though.

When you say, [anoncvs|ftp].{$mirror}.netbsd.org, does $mirror = 2 letter
country code/region?

-lava

JCR>    Jeremy C. Reed
JCR>    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

later -           | _BonaFide[] = { coder, author, | /~\ The ASCII Ribbon
Brian A. Seklecki | problem solver, scholar, BOFH, | \ / Campaign Against
                  | vegetarian, runner, NetBSD     |  X  Exchange, Outlook
                  | advocate, spiritual machine }; | / \ & HTML Email

PGP: 0111 4618 0111 4618 4AB2 24EB C853 6611 75C4 A91E A7A7 4973