Subject: Re: automatic login
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/05/2002 10:23:42
> > If it's two system on a LAN with nothing else attached,
> > no harm in securing the connections.  Possible harm in
> > not securing them.
>
> Horsepuckey.  Go tell everyone who runs enormous compute clusters that
> there is "no harm" in "securing" the connections on their internal

I use TeraTerm from a Windoze machine to three machines on an "internal
network," i.e., connected to the internal interface card (192.168.x.0)
of a machine running ipfilter.  Are people telling me to be safe I have to
run ssh?  It's simply unrealistic since the only FEP (front end processor,
or romaji-kanji converter) I can use efficiently is Atok15, which AFAIK
isn't supported on any Unix other than _perhaps_ Solaris.

If people insist this practice of using telnetd _within an internal network_
is unsafe, then I think those arguments should be going to bug reports for
ipfilter so that it can be made safe.  Isn't that one of the reasons ipfilter
is around?  How do people get into my network if they don't have a 192.168.x.0
IP?  If they ARE clever enough to do that, ssh sure doesn't make me feel any
more secure against attacks of that level of expertise.

henry nelson