Subject: Re: Using Xvfb( X framebuffer ) with NetBSD 1.5.2
To: None <muc-lists-netbsd-users@moderators.muc.de>
From: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/04/2002 22:55:48
Hi,

ipthomas@mac.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 3, 2002, at 04:37 PM, Michael Core wrote:
> > ipthomas@mac.com wrote:
> >
> >> I am trying, without much success, to get Xvfb working on my
> >> machine.  I call the command like this
> >>
> >> Xvfb :0 screen 0 1024x768x16 &
> >>
> >> 	If I try startx, it tells me a server is already running.
> >
> > I assume your main server is already running at display :0.
> >
> > Try this instead:
> > Xvfb :1 screen 0 1024x768x16 &

> 	No server was running.  I even tried putting it in a .xserverrc
> 	and
> running startx.  Still no go.  The processes that are running look
> identical to the ones that run with another Xserver.  In Slackware, I
> was using the kernel frame buffer.  Could that have made the
> difference and is there a NetBSD equivalent?

There might be slight differences but AFAIK there isn't any in-kernel
Xvfb. Maybe there are some X.*msgs or XFree86.*log in /var/log which
must be deleted first?

I don't understand your second sentence from you first post:
> If I try startx, it tells me a server is already running.  This is
> true, but I want to use the server that is running.

Do you really want to use Xvfb or do you want to use Xnest instead?
Otherwise, I don't understand how you want to use Xvfb _with_ another
X-Server.

Michael