Subject: Re: automatic login
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2002 19:18:36
> > I guess you've never worked on any projects that were COMPLETELY firewalled
> > away from the internet or not connected at all.
>
> I believe enough of us have dealt with sites that have
> absolutely NO connection to the Internet -- yet there
> seem to be connections.

Under US DoD (and possibly DoE) procedures, systems holding classified
information are "air-gapped" - no physical connections to any non-secure
system.  I read somewhere (and this may be apocryphal) that day after the
Melissa virus hit, a sys admin at Sandia checked one of the air-gapped
networks and found numerous copies of the virus.

Firewall or no, the prudent assumption always is that the network is
un-trustworthy.

David S.