Subject: Re: NeverWinter Nights on NetBSD under Linux emulation..
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
From: None <sudog@sudog.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/30/2002 10:07:15
> > I appear to have gotten NeverWinter nights working under Linux emulation on
> > the latest -current, 1.6B? (Is that the latest?) It hasn't been extensively
> > tested yet (no modules played all the way through) but it actually appears to
> > work!
> >
> > Is that the sweetest thing you ever heard or what? I wonder if anyone else
> > can report success with this?
>
> I would like to hear more about this, possibly to include it on our
> website (in the gallery section).  Do you think you could write a short
> summary of what you had to do to get it to run and maybe take one or two
> screenshots?

I don't know how much a screenshot would be worth, since the Linux
server is pretty much just a text interface. I could take a screenshot
from my windows client if you like..? :)

Anyway, ktracing the linux executable indicated that it was trying to
mkdir two directories but failing. In order to run the linux
executable, I had to wrap it in the following:

if [ ! -d currentgame.0 ]
then
	mkdir currentgame.0
fi

if [ ! -d temp.0 ]
then
	mkdir temp.0
fi

./nwserver [various options]

It worked fine after that. It loads custom modules, it runs well, and
best of all, there is none of the lag associated with running the
server on the same machine you're playing on. My friends are extremely
happy about this. :)

I haven't tested the save game/reload stuff yet but intend to today
sometime.

There is no Linux graphical/3D client yet, but I don't imagine it'd
work anyway since (unless something's changed) we have no DRI yet.

Thanks for the interest, back to NWN on a fly NetBSD server!

-sudog