Subject: Re: Making Boot floppies
To: Rose, Brian <Brian.Rose@icn.siemens.com>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/28/2002 18:09:52
On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 05:09:45PM -0400, Rose, Brian wrote:

> Okay, so here I find myself on the long road to making some custom boot
> floppies. I have read the man pages and searched the Google and come up with
> a partial list of things to do in order to make a boot floppy. I am doing
> this as an excercise so that I can have a better understanding of the NetBSD
> OS. Guess what? It's working.
>
> Step 1 : Insert a blank floppy into the drive.
> Step 2 : disklabel -w -r /dev/fd0a floppy
> Step 3 : newfs /dev/fd0a
> Step 4 : installboot /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/fd0a
> Step 5 : mount -t ffs /dev/fd0a /mnt/floppy
> Step 6 : cp /mnt/dvd/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-GENERIC_TINY.gz /mnt/floppy

netbsd-GENERIC_TINY is a small kernel which you would use if you already had
the system installed on some disk, eg., /netbsd on a NetBSD box. What you
want to copy is an INSTALL kernel which has a root disk embedded in it, so

Step 6 : cp /mnt/dvd/i386/binary/kernel/netbsd-INSTALL.gz /mnt/floppy/netbsd

would do the trick.

Good luck,

Patrick