Subject: Re: Maintaining release branch installs
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/27/2002 21:04:08
On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 10:55:50PM -0400, Bernstein wrote:

> I have a machine here that I try to keep in sync with the release-1-5
> branch. I update the src via cvs with the appropriate tag, rebuild the
> kernel, and then rebuild userland.
>
> Is there an easier way to do this? How do folks who are in charge of a
> number of production machines synched to the release branch take care
> this chore? It's always puzzled me that the latest formal release, say
> 1.5.2 is available in binary form for an initial installation, but
> that I have to resort to builds from src to update that release with
> new patches etc. On the other hand, binary snapshots of current
> abound.

there are usually snapshots of release branches at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/$ARCHITECTURE/snapshot .  I imagine
with 1.6 that we will get weekly (or more frequently) cross-built
snapshots as well.

that seems like it still involves an inordinate amount of work...

maybe the best thing is to keep your source tree unpacked and leave the
.o files around.  after you cvs update, you should just be able to run
make UPDATE=1 and make should figure out all the dependencies and only
re-make things that have changed, right?

> I have that eerie feeling that I have asked perhaps the dumbest
> question of my entire Internet career, that I have missed something
> really BIG and really OBVIOUS, but let the chips fall where they may.

if it was obvious, you'd know the answer.  :)  I for one am glad you
asked.