Subject: Maintaining release branch installs
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernstein <bob@ruptured-duck.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/27/2002 22:55:50
I have a machine here that I try to keep in sync with the release-1-5
branch. I update the src via cvs with the appropriate tag, rebuild the
kernel, and then rebuild userland.

Is there an easier way to do this? How do folks who are in charge of a
number of production machines synched to the release branch take care
this chore? It's always puzzled me that the latest formal release, say
1.5.2 is available in binary form for an initial installation, but
that I have to resort to builds from src to update that release with
new patches etc. On the other hand, binary snapshots of current
abound.

I have that eerie feeling that I have asked perhaps the dumbest
question of my entire Internet career, that I have missed something
really BIG and really OBVIOUS, but let the chips fall where they may.

--
Bob Bernstein