Subject: X 4.2.0 & kde3 & ATi Radeon VE
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Marton Fabo <morton@eik.bme.hu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/23/2002 15:43:13
Hi!

I just installed kde3 from source on 1.5.2 i386 with XFree 4.2.0. It takes
a lot of time to start up, even the simplest kde apps start quite slowly,
even navigating in menus is sluggish and flickers.

Does anyone have it installed and running at a reasonable speed? And if
yes, on what hardware?

My setup: AthlonXP 1700+, ABIT KR7A-R, 256M DDR, ATi Radeon VE 64M (this is
why I needed X 4.2.0).

As a related note, it seems to me that X isn't using any HW acceleration
provided by the Radeon VE (it's supposed to be quite fast, at least in 2D)
at all. Can X 4.2.0 be configured to use any acceleration from this card,
and if yes, how?

thx
mortee