Subject: Re: Pixar's Renderman
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/21/2002 12:41:30
On 20.06.02, 17:34:20, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Zach Fine <zach@zachfine.com> wrote:
> >
> > Not exactly what you're looking for, but I have successfully run BMRT
> > under NetBSD's Linux emulation, at least a long time ago.
>
> Hmmmm, doesn't work for me.  They all segfault and some even bring down
> X with them.  Haven't had the time to give it a more careful look, but
> if you have any pointers to share...

I have used BMRT a lot in the past, but not any more, I think, since I
installed XFree 4. The glx module, it seems, is very incompatible with
Linux binaries that use OpenGL.

Rendering to a file with rendrib seems to work fine, but as soon as
any program tries to open a GL view, it crashes the Xserver. The
program itself (rendrib -d or rgl), however, does not crash, a ktrace
output shows that it neatly exit()s with a value of 1.

If I disable the glx module for XFree 4, BMRT programs (and I guess
other Linux GL programs, too) complains that it cannot select a GL
visual or something like that.

Any idea how to go about this problem? In the near future I will try
the Linux version of RealSoft 3D (http://www.realsoft.com/). It
requires OpenGL, too. It's probably not useful with my old graphics
card, but still I'd like to know if it runs under NetBSD at all.

(I could not find a SuSE64 Mesa package, so I manually installed one
for RedHat 6.2, I'm not sure this is causing trouble; no program
complained about wrong or incompatible library versions.)

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD:  No Windows or Gates, but lots of doors, portals and tunnels.
		-- Greywolf