Subject: Re: How to turn Sendmail off
To: Iggy Drougge <iggy@kristallpojken.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/21/2002 00:41:01
I compiled a couple emails in to one for my responses. See below.

On 21 Jun 2002, Iggy Drougge wrote:

> >> Jun 20 03:15:04 dec sendmail[6289]: My unqualified host name (dec) unknown;
> >> sleeping for retry Jun 20 03:16:04 dec sendmail[6289]: unable to qualify my
> >> own domain name (dec)
> >> -- using short name
>
> >So fix this. Add it to your /etc/hosts file (or to your DNS). Also
> >consider using full-qualified domain name.
>
> It says so in /etc/hosts:
> 192.168.0.5    dec
> A fully qualified domain name? What would that look like, considering that
> it's not on the Internet?

I read you can work-around this by placing a period after the hostname,
like:

192.168.0.5    dec.	dec

On 21 Jun 2002, Iggy Drougge wrote:

> I appreciate the daily security output and all that, I don't mind keeping
> them. But Sendmail is a very complicated program for the seemingly simple task
> of sending mail to a local user. However, I have a .forward file in ~root,

Sending mail to a local user (when "local user" means same machine) can be
done with mail.local(8). (But it sounds like you want to mail to another
system.)

> pointing at my internet mail address. Couldn't mail or Pine or another
> email client be used for delivery, using my ISP's SMTP server?

Yes, sendmail can be complicated, but it does work.

mail(1) doesn't know smtp so it can not do it by itself. Using pine to do
this seems more complicated than having sendmail do it.

If you want a simple sendmail replacement that simply mails to only one
smarthost (aka mailhub), let me know. I have a smtp program that mimics a
few of sendmail's options called mailout. I need to post the BSD-licensed
code.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/