Subject: Re: building a bootable 'install' cd
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/19/2002 11:05:07
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 03:33:27PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
  | > prepare one of those?  More specifically, what options and what files
  | > do I pass to mkisofs to create the proper image?
  |
  | For the custom method: you need to build a boot image first and place it
  | in to the pathspec (as mkisofs calls it).
  |
  | Here are some ideas:
  |
  | dd if=/dev/zero of=myboot.fs count=5760
  | vnconfig -t floppy288 -v -c /dev/vnd0d myboot.fs
  | disklabel -rw /dev/vnd0d floppy288
  | newfs -B le -m 0 -o space -i 204800 -c 80 /dev/rvnd0a floppy288
  | /usr/mdec/installboot -v -f /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym /dev/rvnd0a
  | mount /dev/vnd0a $MOUNT
  | gzip -v -c -9 $KERNEL > $MOUNT/netbsd
  | chmod a+x $MOUNT/netbsd
  | umount $MOUNT
  | vnconfig -u vnd0d

Ewwwwwwww, needing root to build file systems!!!

Seriously, you don't need vnconfig/newfs/mount (and therefore root privs)
to build ffs file systems any more; that's what makefs is now for :)

The NetBSD builds were converted before the 1.6 branch to the new method.
There are some bits of distrib/* not converted, but they're not being
built by the autobuild mechanism for the netbsd 1.6 release, so I
haven't gotten around to converting them yet.

For our next trick; makefs backends for file systems such as
fat, ext2fs, and iso9660.

Luke.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com