Subject: Re: This has GOT to be a bug in ksh...
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/17/2002 15:18:36
[ On Tuesday, June 18, 2002 at 01:11:32 (+0700), Robert Elz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: This has GOT to be a bug in ksh...
>
>     Date:        Sun, 16 Jun 2002 11:12:59 -0400 (EDT)
>     From:        woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods)
>
>   | 	$ find . -type f -print | while read file; do echo $file; done
>   | That'll work with all POSIX-ish shells, including /bin/sh on SunOS-5.x
>
> Given your definition of how echo is supposed to work, just how
> do you make that work when files in the directory have names
> like
> 	hello\c
> 	some\tname
>
> Fortunately, for NetBSD users, sh does the "right" thing, but ksh
> sure doesn't (by default anyway -E most likely fixes it).

Please define "work" in this context.  As far as I'm concerned it works
just fine with any and every version of "echo".

My assumption being of course that "echo" is a stand-in command in this
example to demonstrate parameter handling and field splitting.  I have
much better ways to produce lists of filenames than to use "echo".

--
								Greg A. Woods