Subject: Re: linking against ncurses
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/14/2002 18:48:39
On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:20:51 +0200
> "Hanspeter Roth" <hanspeter_roth@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I tried to link mutt against /usr/pkg/lib/libncurses.
> > In /usr/pkgsrc/mail/mutt I tried:
> >
> >     make patch
> >     CONFIGURE_ARGS='--with-curses=/usr/pkg' make

That would have zero effect, because the package appends another
'--with-curses=' argument, and I believe the last one wins.

> > But mutt got linked against /usr/lib/libcurses.so.3.
> >
> > How can one link mutt against ncurses?
>
> I'm not sure though maybe you need to install devel/ncurses first
> by hand and then make mutt as usual... If not, you can build it
> against slang with 'make MUTT_USE_SLANG=yes'...

Try

	USE_NCURSES=YES	make

USE_NCURSES isn't really a user knob, it just happens to work here.
Better, would be set it conditionally on MUTT_USE_NCURSES in the mutt
"Makefile", assuming there's a reason anyone would want to do that.
What functionality does ncurses provide that NetBSD 1.5.3 curses does
not?

Frederick