Subject: telnet for HTTP download
To: Netbsd-Users \(E-mail\) <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rose, Brian <Brian.Rose@icn.siemens.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/14/2002 15:18:17
Is there a way to download a file on a HTTP server by doing a GET request
from within a telnet. I'm not a telnet expert, but I know you can go into
telnet and connect to web servers and view the pages (in source form). Can
you also do a GET on a linked binary file and redirect it to a file?

Perhaps there is another command besides GET.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I realize I could just fire up a browser, but I am trying to learn how
to do as much as possible with as little software as possible. Since telnet
comes installed as part of the base, knowing how to use it to it's fullest
may come in handy. Then again, this knowledge may end up with all the other
useless information, in that dusty corner of my head between memorized Bloom
County comics and the chemical formula for LSD.

Brian Rose
Brian dot Rose at icn dot siemens dot com
407-942-6934
To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion