Subject: Re: Good old gcc "virtual memory exhausted"
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/13/2002 10:30:33
--UFHRwCdBEJvubb2X

Hi Thorsten,

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 10:20:24AM +0200, Torsten Sadowski wrote:

> I am just trying to compile opencascade on NetBSD and after some initial
> hickups everything seemed to run fine. At some point I ran into the
> "virtual memory exhausted" trap. Using gcc 2.95.3 instead of 2.91 worked
> for one piece of code but later it failed again. Does it help to increase
> swap to "huge tracts of land" or is the only solution -O1?

You'll have to distinguish "virtual memory the machine can handle" and "vir=
tual
memory a specific user process is allowed to consume".

The message you see is most probably related to the latter problem, so you'=
ll=20
be able to ease the limit - inside the hard limits set by your system admin=
istrator
when configuring the kernel - with the unlimit command (if you're using (t)=
csh)
or the ulimit command (for (k)sh)).

The exact command is different for the two classes of shells, so please rea=
d=20
the respective manual page.

Regards,
	-is