Subject: ATAPI tape drive not recognized!
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/08/2002 14:22:40
Hi!

Is anyone running a system where the only IDE device is an ATAPI tape
drive?

Does anyone have any idea why my BIOS can see my new Seagate TR5 tape
drive, but NetBSD doesn't?  It just sits there for about 30 seconds when
it should be "probing" the drive, and then comes back and says no drive
present.

The BIOS on the machine sees the tape drive just fine, and if I remove
the tape drive, the NetBSD probe returns immediately rather than waiting
for ~30 seconds.

The tape drive is the only IDE device on the system, so I've got it
attached to the "primary" IDE controller and I've set the Master/Slave
jumper to master.  I've tried multiple IDE cables, and I've also tried
the "secondary" IDE controller, with no change in results.  I've also
tried using a GENERIC kernel as well as my custom kernel, with no
change.

Do I have to play some games in the config with config flags or some
such thing?

Here's the relevant section of dmesg:

pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1: VIA Technologies VT82C686A (Apollo
KX133) ATA1
00 controller
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
pciide0: disabling primary channel (no drives)
pciide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
pciide0: disabling secondary channel (no drives)

Please include my address in any responses, as I'm not normally on this
list.

Thanks!

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Network Engineer | 9DC5 05CF 1AE7 DC42 CCC6 |  paul@whooppee.com   |
|  & World Cruiser | 6858 051E 7AD2 A6B2 4954 | pgoyette@juniper.net |