Subject: Re: AGAIN: syslogd stopped, what must I do?
To: Lista de NetBSD Users <list10@sepc.edu.mx>
From: None <xs@kittenz.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/07/2002 17:25:35
on Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 11:00:53AM -0500, Lista de NetBSD Users wrote:
> > ps alx might be handy, as it would show the wchan syslog was on.
>
> UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI  NI  VSZ  RSS WCHAN    STAT  TT    TIME COMMAND
>   0   117     1   0   4   0  104  408 ttyout   Is    ?? 0:07.25
                                        ^^^^^^ ahah!
> /usr/sbin/syslogd -s

> > Have you got a line in /etc/syslog.conf that logs to /dev/console or any
> > other tty device directly? If so, have you tried removing it?
>
> I will connect a vga monitor to the server... the servers room is small
> and the servers are without monitors now.
>
> This is my syslog.conf
>
> #       $NetBSD: syslog.conf,v 1.6 1997/02/21 09:04:26 mikel Exp $
>
> *.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none;mail.crit        /dev/console

If there are no monitors or they are rarely used, then it should be ok
to remove the above line. This is only a temporary fix.

> *.emerg                                                 *
> *.notice;auth.debug                                     root

Hmm. These might also cause problems at some point, but you probably
want to leave these in.

> I dont think my program is the problem because this situation
> occurs in other servers too.

I agree. syslogd is blocking whilst writing to the terminal because the
scroll back buffer is full, I would guess. It should do non blocking i/o
imho.