Subject: Restore from a suspend - Netowrk card does not work
To: Netbsd-Users \(E-mail\) <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rose, Brian <Brian.Rose@icn.siemens.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/07/2002 11:36:39

------_=_NextPart_001_01C20E39.1E02A610

I have a Sony PCG-FXA32 notebook with a Realtek 8139 network adapter. When
the notebook wakes from the suspended state (apm -z) the network is no
longer working. I am shutting down the interface and restarting it in the
APM script. The script performs the same routines for the sleep state, which
does not power down the notebook. The sleep restore works fine. The commands
used to start it up and shut it down also work fine under normal conditions.

The problem I am having is similar to one I encountered when installing
NetBSD. The symptom is that I get a bunch of watchdog timeouts and dhclient
fails to set up the network because it cannot send anything to the broadcast
address.

My gut feeling is that when the Realtek chips are powered up (either from a
restore or a cold boot), they are not being correctly initialized by the
BIOS. To solve this problem (after the install) I installed
netbsd.GENERIC_LAPTOP, which does seem to correctly configure the Realtek
chips when the kernel does its PCI initialization.

Is there any way for me to tell the kernel to initialize the PCI bus from my
apm scripts? I feel that this would solve the problem. I am also sending a
message to Sony to see if they have any BIOS updates.

Brian Rose
Brian dot Rose at icn dot siemens dot com
407-942-6934

To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

------_=_NextPart_001_01C20E39.1E02A610

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=304232015-07062002><FONT face=Verdana size=2>I have a Sony
PCG-FXA32 notebook with a Realtek 8139 network adapter. When the notebook wakes
from the suspended state (apm -z) the network is no longer working. I am
shutting down the interface and restarting it in the APM script. The script
performs the same routines for the sleep state, which does not power down the
notebook. The sleep restore works fine. The commands used to start it up and
shut it down also work fine under normal conditions.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=304232015-07062002><FONT face=Verdana
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=304232015-07062002><FONT face=Verdana size=2>The problem I am
having is similar to one I encountered when installing NetBSD. The symptom is
that I get a bunch of watchdog timeouts and dhclient fails to set up the network
because it cannot send anything to the broadcast address.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=304232015-07062002><FONT face=Verdana
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=304232015-07062002><FONT face=Verdana size=2>My gut feeling is
that when the Realtek chips are powered up (either from a restore or a cold
boot), they are not being correctly initialized by the BIOS. To solve this
problem (after the install) I&nbsp;installed netbsd.GENERIC_LAPTOP, which does
seem to correctly configure the Realtek chips when the kernel does its PCI
initialization.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=304232015-07062002><FONT face=Verdana
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=304232015-07062002><FONT face=Verdana size=2>Is there any way
for me to tell the kernel to initialize the PCI bus from my apm scripts? I feel
that this would solve the problem. I am also sending a message to Sony to see if
they have any BIOS updates.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Verdana size=2></FONT><BR><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<P><FONT face=Kauflinn color=#000080 size=7>Brian Rose</FONT> <BR><FONT
face=Monospaced color=#008000>Brian dot Rose at icn dot siemens dot com</FONT>
<BR><FONT face=Monospaced color=#008000>407-942-6934</FONT> </P>
<P>To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion</P>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C20E39.1E02A610--