Subject: Re: Use of `pkg_chk`
To: Richard Grace <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/06/2002 12:30:02
On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Richard Grace wrote:

> Howdy folks.
>
> I've recently discovered the reason for the following comment in the
> pkg_chk(1) man page, when I tested pkg_chk on the pth-1.4.1 package.
>
> BUGS
>                                               ...  However, if a depends on b
>      and c, and all three are marked for update, pkg_chk will update b and c
>      in two separate passes, resulting in unnecessary rebuilding of a (and po-
>      tentially other packages).
>
> It compiled all sorts of things over and over until after about four
> days, when I noticed it was still running, I killed it.
>
> Now I'm wondering how many packages I will have to reinstall by hand,
> as I've discovered that most of gnome is missing, and though xmms will
> load, it won't play any tunes :-(
>
> As far as I can tell there are no logs.  I guess it's just a case of
> removing, and reinstalling all of the major apps, and seeing what
> happens to the dependancies?
>
> Any suggestions for a better way to do this in the future will be
> greatly appreciated :-)

	The work directory of the package that was being updated should
	contain a .DDIR or .DLIST file which contains a list of packages
	which were due to be updated. Try 'ls /pkgsrc/*/*/work/.D*'.

	Personally I use a pkgchk.conf file to list all the packages I
	want installed on a box so I can run 'pkg_chk -r ; pkg_chk -ask'
	on my build box, then 'pkg_chk -r ; pkg_chk -abk' on any other
	box to use the build packages (You may also want to set
	DEPENDS_TARGET=package in mk.conf)
--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --