Subject: Use of `pkg_chk`
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Grace <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/06/2002 17:59:43
Howdy folks.

I've recently discovered the reason for the following comment in the=20
pkg_chk(1) man page, when I tested pkg_chk on the pth-1.4.1 package.

BUGS
                                              ...  However, if a depends =
on b
     and c, and all three are marked for update, pkg_chk will update b and =
     in two separate passes, resulting in unnecessary rebuilding of a (and =
po-
     tentially other packages).

It compiled all sorts of things over and over until after about four
days, when I noticed it was still running, I killed it.

Now I'm wondering how many packages I will have to reinstall by hand,
as I've discovered that most of gnome is missing, and though xmms will
load, it won't play any tunes :-(

As far as I can tell there are no logs.  I guess it's just a case of
removing, and reinstalling all of the major apps, and seeing what
happens to the dependancies?

Any suggestions for a better way to do this in the future will be
greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks.

Richard.