Subject: Re: installing/using XDM
To: Todd Gruhn <>
From: Juergen Tritthardt <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/04/2002 17:21:16
On the machines I use (all 1.5.x, macppc and i386, full installation
with X) I just had to add "xdm=3DYES" to "/etc/rc.conf".

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Todd Gruhn wrote:

> About 5yrs ago I tried using xdm. The display -- especially
> the login looked great. But I had a convoluted process to
> install the thing:
> 1) build a .xsession that works
> 2) ad a line to /etc/rc.local that tested for the=20
>    presence of /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm; if it exists, then run it
> 3) kill the console getty found in /etc/ttys
> 4) reboot and pray -- now if there is a prob, hope you
> can invert this mess!
> Since then NetBSD went to the rc.d mechanism for starting
> system daemons. How much will this help me with xdm?
> What, if anything, needs changing to bring xdm up=20
> this time around? Any advice will be appreciated...

J=FCrgen Tritthardt              Max-Planck-Institut f=FCr med. Forschung
Tel. 06221/486279                          Abt. Biomedizinische Optik
Fax. 06221/486225                       Jahnstr. 29, 69120 Heidelberg