Subject: Re: [Fwd: FFS in different flavors]
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/01/2002 17:34:18
--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 05:24:34PM +0200, Klaus-J. Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I want to use several *BSDs on my home workstation. Are there any=20
> restrictions in using e.g. a FreeBSD disklabel with OpenBSD or vice=20
> versa? (Apparantly, both have different schemes of disklabels and FS=20
> layouts - e.g. a flag for softupdates don't exist in OpenBSD or NetBSD).
>=20
> I will have different physical disks for each disklabel, but I want to=20
> exchange/share information.
>=20
> Anybody any experiences?

You can share information perfectly. ffs is "the same", maybe it has some
minor differences, but across *BSD it is compatible. In Net/Open you have
to use -o softdep when mounting to use softdependancies (softupdates).

NetBSD uses a different slice id than free/open. This is because NetBSD
disklabel is a bit different than freebsd's one. Although, NetBSD's kernel
has an option (enabled by default in GENERIC) to read freebsd's disklabels
(you will se a message "WARNING: old partition id" but it's non-fatal).

And, while in freebsd you can have several disklabels per disk, in net/open
you can have only one, which makes more sense.

Just one thing. Do not try to run mbrlabel on a disk using a freebsd's
disklabel, or you will corrupt it. Anything else works fine ;)

--=20
Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org
HispaBSD member - http://www.hispabsd.org
Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>