Subject: Re: Comments on SRV records?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2002 22:43:49
On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 04:50:09PM -0700, sudog wrote:

> I know that SRV records are a great way to provide portable services sitting
> on non-standard ports; But are there any comments as to SRV records in
> general? Or perhaps whether anyone outside of certain Windows type systems
> even recognize SRV records?
>
> Thanks--just curious to know more, and am just reading RFC 2782 now to get a
> better handle on what else can be done with them.

NetBSD's Kerberos uses/can use SRV records to find the Kerberos
server. Just be careful because the implementation doesn't match
the RFC. In particular, this in DNS causes a total failure:

; NO other services are supported
*._tcp                 IN      SRV     0 0 0 .
*._udp                 IN      SRV     0 0 0 .

I'm not quite sure what the advantage of SRV records over Hesiod's
sloc records is, or why sloc couldn't have been extended to include
those advantages.
--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...