Subject: Re: OT: apple's marketing is just insolent
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2002 17:44:24
On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:16:20PM +0400, Arto Huusko wrote:

> > > The claim that OSX or Darwin _is_ FreeBSD is hardly an educated claim. I've
> > > seen/heard people claiming that OSX/Darwin is FreeBSD, and I always have
> > > to prove 'em wrong (since I own a mac that has OSX running on it).
> >
> > No need to prove anyone wrong.  The only point in the posting was that
> > Apple was insulting the foundation of their own OS, because it includes
> > pieces of what they were making fun of.
>
> The fact that Apple claims OS X "sends all other UNIX boxes to
> /dev/null" is not an insult, IMO. They imply that OS X is better than
[rest snipped]

You are attributing to me an argument I didn't make.  I only commented
that Apple's ads were poking fun at themselves in part.

The rest of your points are probably interesting to the original poster,
lost though that might be in the followup discussions.

> back that kind of claim. If they said, literally, that "OS X is
> better than any other UNIX", I feel they really should prove it,
> but sending stuff to /dev/null is just marketing.

There really isn't much difference.  Also, in terms of English language,
this definitely is an insult, and was likely intended that way.  As to
it's being "just marketing", no kidding!  So would saying it was better
than any other UNIX.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com