Subject: Re: Mounting FreeBSD partitions/slices
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Grace <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2002 14:37:45
>>> <krp@freeshell.org> 21/05/2002 18:38:58 >>>

> you need to do that in two steps. first, get the geometry
> of the freebsd slice. (in sectors).

OK, that's easily done.  But not for a few days yet... ;-)

> Once done, go back to netbsd, launch disklabel ad0, and
> add a slice with the geometry of the freebsd slice.

Can I use partition numbers (letters) 8-15 (i-o) on the FreeBSD
slice without upsetting the disk?  I guess FreeBSD will panic if
I try booting that disk on the other machine in the future?

> You can also read the documentation on netbsd.org/
> Documentation.  If i remember well, they say how to add
> a msdos partition in the disklabel

Cool, I just looked at this.  There was nothing about other
filesystems in the FAQ sections, but in The NetBSD guide,
Section 5.4 has the information on mounting an MSDOS
partition, which can be extrapolated to mounting other
types of filesystems.  I guess this would also work for an
NTFS or HPFS filesystem?

Would it be worth putting some simple examples into the
FAQ section on the main Documentation page?

Richard.