Subject: Re: Mounting FreeBSD partitions/slices
To: Richard Grace <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
From: None <krp@freeshell.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/21/2002 10:38:58
On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 04:11:06PM +1000, Richard Grace wrote:
> Howdy folks.
>
> I've been building my new PC as NetBSD/i386 after running
> NetBSD/sparc for some years, and see that all of the disk
> devices are almost similar in the i386 port.
>
> Also having run FreeBSD, I now wish to mount my old disks
> from the FreeBSD machine on the NetBSD/i386 machine to
> copy the data - but came across a problem.
>
> How do you mount the FreeBSD disk on NetBSD?
>
> On FreeBSD, the devices are named using the format ad0s3a
> etc. where:
>   ad0 is the disk
>   s3  is the MSDOS fdisk partition (the FreeBSD slice?)
>   a   is the FreeBSD partition (8 partitions, a-h)
>
> My data is on fdisk partition 3, as the first two were Windows
> 95 primary, and an extended partition.
>
> Is this possible?  What would the corresponding NetBSD device
> name be?
>
> Thanks.

you need to do that in two steps. first, get the geometry of the freebsd
slice. (in sectors). You can run freebsd if you want. (use disklabel ad0)
Once done, go back to netbsd, launch disklabel ad0, and add a slice with
the geometry of the freebsd slice.

You can also read the documentation on netbsd.org/Documentation.
If i remember well, they say how to add a msdos partition in the disklabel

--

Run NetBSD    - www.NetBSD.org
David Ferlier - krp@freeshell.org