Subject: Re: pkgsrc via cvs instead of sup
To: Frank Knappe <knappe@tu-harburg.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2002 16:03:36
On Mon, 20 May 2002, Frank Knappe wrote:

> In the past I used sup for keeping my pkgsrc actual.
> The problem is, that a whole sup run takes about
> one hour, regardless is the last sup was one week or ome
> month ago. During this hour there is heavy traffic in the
>  first 15 to 20min and after this nearly no traffic is
> on the line.
>
> I want now test if cvs is faster for me. Do I have to make
> a checkout first:
> cvs checkout -PA pkgsrc
> or can I start with
> cvs -d $CVSROOT update -PAd pkgsrc
> as described in the NetBSD-Guide?

The latter should work, now that "sup" delivers the CVS directories.
Most people find "sup" to be faster -- "cvs" is only preferred for
it's flexibility, not for it's speed. That would be interesting if
"cvs" turned out to be faster than "sup" for you. I upgrade one
workstation about once a month via "cvs" over a 19200 modem
connection, and I don't think it takes more than an hour.

> Another question regarding the last line of this section in the guide.
> Do I really have to make the make clean before every update?

Only if you leave work directories lying around. If you make clean
after every update, then of course you don't have to before the next
one.

Frederick