Subject: Re: OT: apple's marketing is just insolent
To: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2002 03:16:43
* Chris Pinnock (cjep@fawlty.net) wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 02:28:32AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I notice that with NetBSD, FreeBSD, and Linux if I run the same kind of
> > applications that are on MacOS X. MacOS _is_ FreeBSD after all.
>
> Do an "ident *" in /bin on a MacOS X system. There's some code
> originating from NetBSD and OpenBSD in there.

Good that you raise that point. To the original poster:

The claim that OSX or Darwin _is_ FreeBSD is hardly an educated claim. I've
seen/heard people claiming that OSX/Darwin is FreeBSD, and I always have
to prove 'em wrong (since I own a mac that has OSX running on it).

For the record (again): Mac OS X and Darwin have a Mach kernel with a 44BSD
personality. Most of the libraries (like libc) were taken from other BSD's
like FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD, of which the biggest contributor is indeed
FreeBSD. Apple also contributes code back _into_ FreeBSD, of which some code
will probably crosspollinate to other systems.

Apple is doing something really cool with Mac OS X and the more open Darwin
system. Be thankful that they do contribute back with cool tools and
commiting code into FreeBSD (some apple developers have indeed committer
access in the FreeBSD trees). What Apple could have done was just to take
the code and give nothing back. Don't bite the hand that feeds you :)

Cheers,
Emiel (loves his mac and OSX)