Subject: Re: OT: apple's marketing is just insolent
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/19/2002 14:32:43
I've been running NetBSD since version 0.9, before www.* was even around (can
anyone remember back that far? ;^) )

I'll also have to admit I really like MacOS X! For the first time, Apple has
made me seriously consider getting a Mac. It blends several things I really
like in a Personal Computing Worstation: A GUI that's easy enough for my 3 year
old to run (or, more respectfully, most non-computer professionals I know
[including my dear bride! ;^) ]), mainstream corporate applications like MS
Office and Adobe, as well as several others including off-the-shelf support
for my digital camera, a company behind it that has one of the longest histories
as a major player in the computer industry (how many are left now < 5? IBM,
Microsoft, Apple, ...), and yet this wonderful OS provides me the ability to
tinker with stuff like with NetBSD - driver developement, OpenSource Apps,
etc.)

IMHO, Apple is the ONLY company positioned right now, to offer Microsoft ANY
significant OS competition.

Have you read Doc Searls' (Senior Editior) article in the April 2002 issue of
Linux Journal?? (Note: what I view as a magazine endorsing a comptitive product!)

Here are couple quotes:

   "... OS X gives us the first popular desktop OS that fits into a
    prevailing Linux environment and also into a previling marketplace."

   "Apple has also attracted some top talent from the open-source ranks.
    Brian Croll, who runs OS X engineering for Apple, was recruited from
    Eazel. Jordan Hubbard, [everyone on this list should know of Jordan]
    the world's formost BSD hacker (and founder of FreeBSD), actually
    pitched his way into a job working on Darwin at Apple. After seeing
    OS X in preview form, he said "Hallelujah" and "This is what I've been
    waiting for the past 20 years ..."

Good Article, you should read it. Turned my head. Got me looking into Mac OS X. I
currently have Darwin-x86 running on one of my machines, just to check it out.

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com