Subject: Re: OT: apple's marketing is just insolent
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/19/2002 01:28:03
On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 10:41:57AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> No, the kernel of MacOS X is based on Mach.  Some *parts* of the kernel
> are from FreeBSD, but core of the kernel is Mach.

I know it's all sitting on Mach, but I see it as Mach providing services
instead of them being in the kernel, and replacing some system calls
with message passing.

According to Apple, Their variation of FreeBSD 3.2 is running on top of
Mach.  I remember a discussion about it some time ago, and the response
from an Apple person was that basically it's FreeBSD 3.2 running on top
of Mach, much like Linux and other UNIX/UNIX-like kernel have been done
on top of Mach.  This was after some people commented that they could not
claim to be using FreeBSD because they were only using bits and pieces.

I haven't played with Darwin, but from what I read it's basically a BSD
kernel sitting on Mach, just like some earlier Mach/UNIX projects.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com