Subject: Re: Bug found: help to isolate it
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Lista de NetBSD Users <list10@sepc.edu.mx>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/18/2002 20:43:12
On Thu, 16 May 2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Hum, it looks like it doens't use any CPU at this point, to it's likely not
> the same bug.
> Could you, when this occurs again
> 1) do a ps -axl and post the syslog line
> 2) keep a root shell around a kill -ABRT syslogd, to get a core dump ?
>
> BTW, killing syslogd should make things working again

Thanks, Manuel...

Yesterday, I could see one more machine (1.5.2/i386) in our LAN
with the same problem... and last night we have a power failure...
sorry... the servers rebooted fine (with fsck) and the problem
of syslogd disappeared.

I am compiling new kernels for some machines with the DDB option
and preparing the shell for kill syslogd. I will use it next time.

This problem is not new for me and I could say it occurs
every 30 or 60 days in our LAN (we have 13+ boxes 1.5.x/i386)
and I have seen it since two+ years ago (versions 1.4 and
maybe 1.3.x)

Thanks again

Heron Gallegos